Travellers arriving to or departing from Estonia have the right to carry medicinal products for personal treatment.
Maximum of ten different pharmaceutical preparations, maximum of five retail packages each may be taken along without a permit of the State Agency of Medicines.
The size of the retail package is limited to:
* 100 units of solid dosage forms,
* 500 g of powder for solution,
* 50 g of homeopathic granules,
* 500 ml of solution for infusion and oral solution,
* 10 ampoules or vials of injectable dosage forms,
* 200 ml or 200 g of medicinal products for external use,
* 100 g of herbal substances,
* 120 doses of inhalation preparations,
* 10 units of medicated plasters.
If the quantity exceeds the quantities mentioned above the permit from the State Agency of Medicines is required.
The requirements are different when travelling with narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances:
Travelling to Schengen area – when carrying any psychotropic and/or narcotic drug, regardless of the quantity of the drug or duration of the travel, the traveller must apply for a Schengen certificate (application form). The certificate can only be issued by the competent authority in the Schengen State of permanent residence (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland).
The Competent Authority in Estonia is the State Agency of Medicines.
Travelling to non-Schengen area - when carrying a single retail package with a package size not more than 20 unit doses (e.g. 1 carton pack including 20 tablets) of any preparation containing narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances the traveller shall need a copy of the prescription or a notice from the doctor indicating that the preparation was prescribed for the traveller, specifying the amount prescribed and the duration of treatment (maximum quantity up to 30-days treatment).
If the quantity or package size exceeds the limits above, a permit from the State Agency of Medicines is required.
Permit - the following data have to be submitted to the State Agency of Medicines for the permit:
1) name of the applicant and contact data, including personal identification number or passport number;
2) country of departure or country of destination, respectively;
3) list of medicines (trade name, dosage form and strength, package size, number of packages)
4) in case of prescription medicines, a notice from the doctor on the need for the medicines shall be submitted with the application.
The application may be in free format and may be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org (doctor’s notice scanned or photographed and attached).
Ref. to national legislation:
Minister of Social Affairs Regulation No. 31 of 18 February 2005 „The Conditions and Procedure for the Import and Export, Carrying for Personal Use and Sending by Post of Goods Requiring Special Authorisation of the State Agency of Medicines, the Forms of Special Authorisations and the List of Goods Requiring Special Authorisation of the State Agency of Medicines”